Thursday 9 December 2010

Changing impressions

Although this is the 2. time I live in Japan, I always find something new and interesting things or events in Japan, which I did not know about from before.

My fall semester in Kansai has been rich of experiences and good for my future way of thinking.

China Town in Kobe


The thing which really fascinates me, is that where you live in a country, can make a big difference. Although this is my second time in Japan, the feeling I have about living here now is totally different from last year. The feelings I had last year were filled with depression, and the realization that I never wanted to go back to Japan ever again. I really did not like the area I lived in, and neither the people- as I had some difficulties with finding friends in Tokyo area.
A Japanese person taking pictures of  Autumn leaves.


Now my feelings have totally changed. I can imagine living in Kansai area for several years, if I had the possibility. The Japanese people here are warm hearted and interested in meeting you, and listening to your stories. I can really feel the difference between Kansai and Kanto area. It is so strange that there is such a big difference between two areas in the same country.

Osaka


I've also learned that all the things people say about Japanese people is not necessarily truth. I do see people kissing and holding hands here, although that it's not very common. Also people do talk a lot about their feelings- which is said to not be very Japanese. It might also be the fact that Japanese students at Kansai Gaidai gets influenced by the foreign students, and changes a little from the general Japanese people.

Capsule Hotel in Osaka
It is very hard to come to think of how my impressions of Japan has changed, as I take every thing of Japan in to my heart and accept it, and don't think much about it. I do love Japan more than I ever did before. And from being a horrible experience, I now feel that Japan is a wonderful place on earth- with it's irritating rules and way of thinking. But that is what makes Japan to Japan.

Wasabi ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. A nice conclusion to the assignment, but somehow I feel it is hardly a conclusion to your exploration of Japan. I am glad (and understand why!) you had good experiences in the Kansai area. Overall I think your blog showed that Japan is a place, similar and different from others in no particularly unique way and certainly not so alien. Thank you for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete