Wednesday 6 October 2010

Japanese People

This week I have spent a lot of time searching for a Japanese person, which I don't know, who let's me take a picture of him/her.

It did take me a while, and I didn't know what I was looking for either. And I started to believe that I wouldn't find anyone I wanted to take a picture of. But then, one day in the cafeteria I found this Japanese boy with a piercing in his nose, which fascinated me.

In Norway you hardly find boys who has pierced their nose. So this man was my choice.


I asked him if he thought it would be alright if I took a picture of him for my blog. And he said yes at once, without any questions. I had to take him away from his friends, and outside the cafeteria to find a good background.
I thought this was very awkward for him, so I asked if he was okey with everything, and he still said yes. I on my side, felt uncomfortable, because I'm not very used taking picture of strangers. And I was very afraid that he was going to get too embarrassed, so I tried to be as quick as possible. 

He did not seem very nervous, although I could sense that his smile wasn't as real as I wished it would be. But of course he must have felt that this was a bit awkward.

He was very proud of all his piercings as
he had done them himself. All of them.
  
When we were finished I forgot to show him the pictures I just had taken of him, and we just went in to the cafeteria again, but since I do understand Japanese, I heard him say to his friends that he thought it was embarrassing. So although he told me he was totally fine with everything, he thought it was embarrassing after all. His friends then, asked me what he had to do, and why, which he in his way tried to answer.

I just realized then, while listening to the conversation, that I had forgotten to show him the pictures. So I went over to his table again and showed him and all his friends the pictures. The girls around the table giggled and said he was very good looking on the pictures, while he himself didn't say that much. He was only smiling.

What I've come to learn about with this experience, is that, when you take a picture of someone you don't know, you have to be all calm and don't freak out. Or else you will do mistakes as I did. Forgetting to show the pictures you've taken, or you forget how to interact. And although you want to be finished as quick as possible, try to relax so you are sure that the pictures will be of good quality.



1 comment:

  1. This is a very nice and interesting post - I like how you describe the setting and process of carrying out your portrait assignment. Both your text and photos provide a nice introduction to your subject.

    Pretty cool that he did his own piercings as well.

    ReplyDelete